Denver Modification Divorce Decrees Attorney

Denver Modification Divorce Decrees Attorney

Most people think that their divorce is over when the paperwork is signed and approved by the court. This is not necessarily the case

Post-Decree Modifications

Most people think that their divorce is over when the paperwork is signed and approved by the court. This is not necessarily the case.

At Littman Family Law, we will assist you in the modification of your divorce decree. This can include challenging the financial settlement based upon a failure to disclose assets or debts properly or upon concealing information that should have been produced. Modification also involves increasing or decreasing child support or spousal support (maintenance).

When the current parenting plan is not working, it may be possible to change decision making (parental responsibilities) and parenting time (formerly known as visitation). When a party fails to perform his or her legal obligations following the divorce process, a contempt of court action may be necessary. In each of these instances, we are here to help you.

What Can be Modified?

You may have many questions about modification of court orders. We can address your concerns and explore options for revising court orders that will better fit your current situation. Many post decree modifications require a substantial change of circumstances. When modifying orders concerning children, it is usually necessary to show that the requested change serves the child’s best interests.

Reasons Why You May Need A Post-Divorce Modification

A modification can be beneficial if your circumstances have changed since the finalization of your divorce. Some examples may include:

  • Change in income
  • Change in living conditions
  • Change in financial need of the child
  • Circumstances involving one spouse not honoring the conditions of the decree

Other developments, which may justify a post decree modification, include:

  • Remarriage of a spouse
  • New employment or promotion
  • Loss of employment
  • A party’s deteriorating physical or mental condition
  • Substance abuse, alcohol abuse or mental health issues
  • Involvement with the criminal justice system

Alienation of the children by one parent or interference by one parent with the other parent’s access to the children can also give rise to the need for post decree modification.

Which Parts Of Your Divorce Decree Can Be Modified?

If a parent’s circumstances have changed, it is possible to modify parental responsibilities (decision making), parenting time (visitation) and child support. Spousal support (alimony) can also be modified under certain conditions.

A post decree modification can have positive effects on the lives of those affected by a divorce. The goal of a modification is to update a divorce decree so that it accurately reflects the lives of those it represents. For example, if a divorce was finalized five years ago, many aspects of life may have changed. Through a modification, individuals can address these changes and update their decrees to work for their current lives.

At Littman Family Law, we are committed to assisting you to achieve your goals. We have helped many clients successfully modify spousal support, parenting time, child support and decision-making. Our attention to detail and thorough understanding of divorce law allows you to address difficult issues regarding your post-decree situations. Send us an email or call our Denver office at 303-832-4200 to schedule a consultation.

Littman Family Law and Mediation Services

1772 Emerson Street
Denver, CO 80218
Phone: 303-832-4200
Fax: 303-832-9322
Denver Law Office Map

We’d love to hear from you.