Resolving Cases Outside Of Court
At Littman Family Law, we are committed to helping people through divorce dispute resolutions in a manner that least impacts their children. In 2005, the Colorado legislature gave us several new tools to help effectively and efficiently minimize the animosity between parents and keep Colorado families out of court. Methods we employ include collaborative law, mediation, arbitration, early neutral assessment, and acting as parenting coordinator and/or decision-maker.
Providing Skilled And Experienced Alternative Dispute Services Throughout Denver
Some of the methods for avoiding court that our attorneys will assist you with include:
- Collaborative Law: This technique is the latest trend in divorce law, emphasizing joint and cooperative problem solving instead of litigation. The parties remain in control of the process without interference from the court.
- Mediation and Arbitration: These methods offer parties resolution without going to court. In fact, many Colorado courts are ordering people to engage in alternative dispute resolution before setting a hearing. These methods can save parties time, money, and the stress of going to court.
- Parenting Coordinator: A Parenting Coordinator is appointed by the court to provide guidance to parents and to help them make decisions regarding their children. A parenting coordinator’s role is to facilitate communication, provide advice and interpret the existing court orders. A parenting coordinator does not have the authority to make decisions. The goal is to keep parenting disputes out of court.
- Decision-Maker: Decision-Makers are appointed by the court upon the agreement of the parents. Unlike parenting coordinators, decision-makers interpret the existing parenting plan and are authorized to make binding decisions, which are filed with the court.
- Early Neutral Assessment: You will have the opportunity to meet with a neutral attorney and a neutral mental health professional to describe your family and children and to obtain focused input as to the best parenting plan for your unique circumstances. The cost is controlled by the four hour limit usually placed upon this meeting.
Littman Family Law‘s team of attorneys and paralegals are highly trained and are available to work with high-conflict families in any of these roles. To learn more about avoiding court, please contact us by calling 303-832-4200 or sending an email using our online form.